Friday, September 9, 2016

TGIFF - Paint Chip Challenge

My guild, Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, hosted a paint chip challenge for members.  In the spring, we drew a colour from three paper bags:  light, medium, and dark.  The challenge was to make something using only those three colours; however, we could add white and/or black.

Luck was on my side, and my three colours played well together.



I decided to work with solids, and the closest Kona colours were:  Niagara, Meringue, and School Bus.

As usual, I procrastinated until the last minute.  I changed my mind far too many times as what to make.  I finally made a decision, but this past Sunday, I still hadn't started and was doubting my choice.

So I did something wild and crazy.  I chose a paper pieced pattern.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I, who does not like paper piecing, decided that was the way to go.  I went with a Violet Craft pattern.  You can find the pattern Forest Abstractions: Wild Carrot here.


I outlined the flower and stem and then stippled the background.


The pattern finishes 8 x 18 inches, but I added side borders to make it 13 x 18 inches.


Early next week, there will be online voting on our guild blog.  I'll provide the link when it's available so you can see all the wonderful creations that were unveiled last night.

** Voting is now open for the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild Paint Chip Challenge.  My paper pieced project is #16.  Stop by to see all the wonderful creations and to vote for your favourite project (which I hope is mine ).

Linking up with:

Thank Goodness It's Finish Friday @ Quilt Matters
Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hand Quilts 



                   Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

18 comments:

  1. I love it, Anja! It's a great use of all three of your colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck was on your side. Your three colours look great together, and one is orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Anja! On the colour challenge, on trying paper piecing, on the quilting -- everything! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited that you are choosing to do more paper piecing, Anja! I think it turned out really well and I love how graphic solids can turn a design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant Anja . You were lucky with the colours and the bold design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, Anja! You chose the perfect pattern to showcase your paint chip colors! Well done! I love it! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Embracing paper piecing! You've come a long way and this looks amazing! Glamp really helped ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luck was on your side for sure...you drew your favorite color! I love how the flower pops right off that blue and that you managed to only use those 3 colors without adding to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anja that is just too stinkin' cute! And I'm with Tish, like how lucky to choose your favourite colour, and weren't you just recently saying how you particularly liked blue with orange? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous, Anja! The colors look great together -- as if you picked them with your color card, not out of a bag! For someone who's not crazy about paper piecing, you've had some beautiful paper-pieced finishes lately. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! You really stayed true to your paint chip colors and made a wonderful mini.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a nice break from complicated patterns! And it's such a cheerful little quilt for the sewing room! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.