Monday, September 12, 2016

2016 Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop

Through my participation in the New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop that was hosted by Stephanie @ Late Night Quilter, Cheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs, and Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl, I had the opportunity to create a 12.5 inch block design.  Cloud9 generously sponsored this blog hop featuring their Organic Cirrus Solids.  All participants received a fat quarter of five solids.


Here is the block I designed.


The design was based on this floor tile I found online.


To make one block, you need:

** If you are not using a flying geese ruler, here are two tutorials to make flying geese units:   Traditional Flying Geese Method and No Waste Flying Geese Method.


Cut the two teal squares in half diagonally to get four triangles.  Make a square-in-square block using the grey square.  Centre a teal triangle on each side of the grey square.  I like to fold and crease both the square and triangles in half so you can accurately match each piece.


Sew triangles on two opposite sides and press before adding triangles to the other two sides.


Your block should measure 4 3/4 inches.  Cut the two pink 4-inch squares in half diagonally to get four triangles.  Repeat the steps above to add all four pink triangles to each side of the block.


Your block now measures 6.5 inches.


Now make four flying geese units.  If you are using a flying geese ruler, follow the rulers's instructions to cut the triangles and side triangles.  Sew the two side purple triangles to the larger pink triangle.  Or follow these tutorials:  Traditional Flying Geese Method (you need a 3.5 x 6.5 inch pink rectangle and two 3.5-inch purple squares) and No Waste Flying Geese Method.  Make four 3.5 x 6.5 inch flying geese units (to finish at 3 x 6 inches).


Add a flying geese unit to both sides of the square-in-square block.


Add a purple square to both ends of the two remaining flying geese units.


Add those units to the top and bottom of the block.


There wasn't enough fabric to make four blocks, but you can see the star pattern that forms when the blocks are joined together.


All the blocks made will be sewn into quilts to be donated to charity.

The following blogs are showcasing new block designs today.

Host: Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
Abigail @Cut & Alter
Kathryn @Upitis Quilts
Jennifer @Dizzy Quilter
Kathleen @Smiles From Kate


** Voting is now open for the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild Paint Chip Challenge.  My paper pieced project is #16.  Stop by to see all the wonderful creations and to vote for your favourite project (which I hope is mine).  Voting is open until September 24.


45 comments:

  1. Inspiration is everywhere and floors are often such great quilt designs! Your block is great. I love that it's heavy on the purple. ;-) And I'm impressed that you made three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first glanced at the image of the tile, I thought it was a black and white quilt image. What a great block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great block, Anja! Half the challenge of turning a design into a quilt block is working out how to put it together and you've done a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely block Anja and when you put them together the quilt design is beautiful. Congratulations of a wonderful quilt design.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny that when we start quilting we see inspiration for quilts and patterns EVERYWHERE!! Lovely block

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. I have photos of floors, too - quilting inspiration is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it neat where we run into quilt pattern inspiration?

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anja, you have a theme going with this block and the Floored block that you made last year. I love them both! I might have to break out my EZ Quilting Flying Geese Ruler. The secondary design that creates the star is awesome! Take care, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful block Ajna. Another floor tile. I see a series in your coming here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your block has an Amish look to it - very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did it Anja! This bundle of fabric is so gorgeous, I enjoyed working with it!
    I have a Pinterest board with all the blocks here:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/38069559329318411/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anja, your block is fantastic and I agree with Karen that it has an Amish look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great block! I love the center could even allow for a fussy cut design! I could just imagine an AMH or Amy Butler print in the center of all the gorgeous Cloud9 fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I am a sucker for secondary designs and I love the star that is formed at the center when you combine your blocks. Too bad there was not enough material to eek out that fourth block. Thank you so much for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anja this is a lovely block - love the original inspiration and the resulting block. It will look gorgeous made up into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad I am not the only one who uses tile layout designs as inspiration... Nice block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Inspiration is everywhere! I love that what you were able to come up based on your inspiration photo. I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nicely done and the secondary design forming that star is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice block! And I like the secondary star design too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great block, Anja! And bonus that it makes such a beautiful secondary pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a powerful quilt block when you combine it with more of the same. Great job on your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with KaHolly.....Stellar!!!! I just added a few more exclamation points. I'd love to see you design more blocks in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and yes I can see the star.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty! I love how the blocks made a sawtooth star when they're sewn together. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It checked out the paint chip challenge and voting. My favourites were yours and the whale cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really love the block, and love that you showed the source of inspiration. I struggled a bit figuring my block out, so I appreciate you sharing your process. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an excellent block. I love that you found it on a floor, too. I designed an entire quilt once around a floor, a quilt based on a rug design...sometimes people are quilters and they don't even know it! Ha ha. I like challenging blocks, this looks like it would take a lot of precision, so it would't get boring. Great job, Anja.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have more than a few pictures on my phone of floors and such for the same reason! Lol. Loving your block and the design that comes from multiples being put together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great colors and another unique block design. This is an amazing and motivating blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Excellent! I love that you got inspiration from a tile floor! Happy hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  31. GREAT design Anja! So fun seeing what your inspiration was and it's a bonus when your design creates a secondary pattern too. Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Floor tile can be a great place for inspiration. You did a great job transforming this into a quilt block. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So fun! And now I've got the EZ Quilting Flying Geese ruler on my wish list ;) You can always reach me at sfdesigns@outlook.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh I do that too! I'm always taking photos of things that inspire me. This block is wonderful and would make a beautiful quilt, just like the tile floor. What a great job you did translating inspiration into a workable block.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very nice block, Anja! Gotta love that EZ Flying Geese Ruler :) Making a quilt with a LOT of flying geese is definitely on my list and I will enjoy using that ruler. I just need to get through my WIP pile first...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Spectacular!! Dazzling!! Love it!!! I'm with Paige, at first glance I thought that you had used EQ7 and made a possible quilt layout. Love the secondary design. I would never have thought it would become a star when joined with other blocks. Definitely making this one, soon too. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this block and enjoyed seeing your inspiration for it. The secondary pattern the blocks create are really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.