Thursday, November 3, 2016

Sunday...oops...Thursday Stash

Some new fabric found it's way into my stash, but sadly, it's not for me.  I'm organizing a work conference that will have delegates from all across Canada.  I thought everyone should receive a table favour, so I decided on zippered pouches made with Nova Scotia tartan.  They will be filled with pens, pencils, post-it notes, and highlighters -- necessities for any conference.


The blue and white in the tartan stand for the Atlantic Ocean and the whitecaps of the surf.  The light green represents Nova Scotia's deciduous forests, while the dark green represents the coniferous.  Red stands for the Lion Rampant prominently displayed on the Provincial Coat of Arms.  Last, the gold represents Nova Scotia's historic Royal Charter of 1621, and the subsequent Grant of Arms in 1625.

I used my go-to tutorial -- Open Wide Zippered Pouch by Noodlehead.


I made a test pouch to make sure I liked the colours.  I love the yellow lining, but I've decided to use the bright blue zipper and blue thread.



It's been a long time, but linking up with Sunday Stash hosted by Molli Sparkles.




And linking up my zippered pouch with Elm Street Quilts for Bag It 2016.




18 comments:

  1. nice looking bag. Hopefully you have some fabric left over for your stash once you make all those pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anja, found you through Sunday Stash and just love the story behind the colours of the tartan, how fabulous! Your bag looks great too!! Fi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bag and I just love the fabric! Sounds like you'll be making a lot of them - don't forget to link them up with Elm Street Quilts Bag It for chances to win some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the story about the Tartan, Anja. Very interesting! Love the pouches and I'm sure every person at the conference will too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought was where is the orange? What a generous thing for you to make all these pouches and I love the thought and meaning behind it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bag and the choices you've made. So thoughtful to make them for your work conference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love this bag. I have some of that fabric. Sew day is coming up so going to try to make 8 purse pouches for attendees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anja, these will make wonderful favors. I love the meaning behind all of the colors in the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness Anja , how many are you making ? And where is the Orange ? Surely a hidden bit. Your pouches are a brilliant idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great favours Anja! I love the explanation of the Nova Scotia tartan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone loves a fun tartan. I think the blue zipper is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the perfect choice for a favour. I also like the blue zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I like that pattern/tutorial, too. How many do you need to make? XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! NS tartan is the best! What a great table favour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bag - fabric chosen is perfect. Thanks for linking up to Elm Street Quilts Bag It!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never knew the meaning behind all the colours in the tartan. Thanks for sharing that :) Your pouch looks great, and will be a fantastic table favour for everyone at the conference. How many pouches are you making?

    ReplyDelete
  17. How I love the Nova Scotia tartan! One of my brother's childhood friends, (still in touch all these decades later) has lived/worked in NYC for oh, 30 years as a fashion designer, but is known for his tartan gowns, which are GORGEOUS, never thought I'd say/think that! I think this is a terrific idea for the conference table favour...can I come, LOL?? Thanks for explaining all the symbolism, love that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would have gone with red zippers. Because there is so little red in the tartan and because...well...you know...I love red!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.