Friday, July 22, 2016

Friday Finish - Waterproofed for Camp

I've been away at Guiding Mosaic 2016 -- a national Girl Guide camp -- that was held at Sylvan Lake in Alberta from July 9 to July 17.  I went as Core Crew to ensure the camp ran smoothly for all the participants, so I left on July 5.  Although I had a great time, I am so happy to be back home in my own bed and in dry weather.

Ziploc bags are a Girl Guide's best friend -- keeps everything neat and tidy and, more importantly, dry.  So knowing that I'd be in a tent for two weeks with the possibility of rain, I decided to make a few zippered pouches using PUL.

I used Noodlehead's open wide zippered pouch pattern, but skipped the interfacing.  It was a bit tricky sewing, but you just have to remember to go slow.


Butterflies.


Little monsters.


And ducks for the inside of both pouches.



I see more PUL pouches in my future.  They are more fun than ziploc bags.


Linking up with:

Thank Goodness It's Finish Friday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge
Finish it up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hand Quilts

20 comments:

  1. What a clever use of that fabric! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to keep things dry while camping. My hats off to you...I don't know if I could have lasted two weeks in a tent! Wonderful of you to volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to make those . I loved my days as a guide and the summer camps were the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you the clever one! Glad you had a good time! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the joys of camping in tents huh? These delightful bags would help add some cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those look great! I may have to try making one of those in the future. Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love your waterproof bags. They sure are a girls best friend when camping in a tent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great idea to create your own waterproof bags. I used to be a Scout leader and had the opportunity to attend a camp overseas (England) and to be on staff for the 2001 Canadian Scout Jamboree in PEI. Both events (as well as 10 years working with the youth) were a great experience and provided lots of wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These bags are adorable. Sylan Lake is in my back yard. Wish I had known, I could have delivered your squares. They went in the mail today. What is PUL?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used the chevron pattern PUL to make string backpacks for my grand daughters for a trip we took to the Yukon. Lightweight, waterproof and washable they worked great for our daily excursions. I wish they had more non baby prints for all kinds of bags.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waaay more fun than zip-lock bags! I love the duck print.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost 2 weeks in a tent, you are a brave lady. Those bags are super cute and definitely more fun than a zip lock bag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did they work well? I think I'd be tempted to try to put some sort of vinyl panel in the side so I could see what was in there! Things always get so messy in my backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And thanks for linking up with TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute little bags! I've pinned them to the Finished or Not Friday Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/busyhandsquilts/finished-or-not-friday-linky-party/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Same question as Jenn - did the work well? Came home and had thought that I should make some of these for camp. Glad someone has "tested" them first. What modifications would you make?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such cute bags. Where do you get the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did no one warn you? These are addictive. Now any time I have a fabric scrap left over I immediately think of making a pouch. If it is a sliver then well it can be made into a QAYG pouch. Your fabrics are so adorable that I can see kids and adults fighting over them.
    Hugs,
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.