Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sewing is Soooooo Much More Fun Than Working

It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be to go back to work after a week's vacation.  But after three days of work, I've decided sewing is much more fun.  Sadly, I did not win the lottery with my Mahone Bay ticket, so it's back to work tomorrow.

But I have been productive this week.  I made a nametag for this week's Maritime Modern Quilt Guild meeting.  I went outside my comfort zone.  A little improv piecing, free motion quilting, and no pattern -- the horror.  Measuring in at 4.5 inches, it even has binding.  And yes, my name is written in Sharpie.  Sharpie is just as good as any embroidery.  And then I wimped out and just sewed on some fancy ribbon because I couldn't figure out the best way to put the strap on it.



My poor Singer has a pretty crappy sewn cover...and that's a long story that we'll skip for now.  I have been holding on to a few pieces of fabric for dear life.  Not that I have anything to coordinate with them, or have any plans for them.  So, I broke down and finally made a quilted sewing machine cover.  I've had the pattern printed for eons from Quilty Creations.  It was very difficult finding a pattern that included instructions on how to make a hole for the handle.  The only thing is that the pattern does not take into account that the top of the machine is narrower than the bottom, so the top is a little loose and doesn't sit properly, but I'm pleased with the results.  And yes, that's a pocket on the front.  And I got creative again and fashioned a cover for the handle to soften the handle (somewhat) -- the machine is quite heavy, and it's hard on the hand.



And then because she's just so cute, I had to make a little something for my goddaughter in Ontario.  I hope little T likes it.  It's a reversible apron with pockets on both sides.


I'm impressed how quickly it came together, and it only requires three fat quarters.  I found the pattern over at Moda Bake Shop.  Can't wait to get it in the mail to her. 

Well, it's time to get to bed and get rested for another day of work.  It's another Sew In with Maritime Modern Quilt Guild on Saturday.  I need to decide what project I will work on.

1 comment:

  1. So productive! Your name tag turned out really well and I'm not sad to say good-bye to that old machine cover!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.