Wednesday, December 9, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Pattern Testing

The procrastination continues.  Last month, I offered to test a pattern for Brianna over at The Iron & Needle.  When Ocean Sky arrived in my Inbox, I was excited to get started, but it took me some time to decide on fabric.

The pattern consists of HQST (half quarter square triangles) and HST (half square triangles), with a few rectangles.  This was my first attempt at HQST, and I love them!!

Kona White for the background

Add some HST's:



And voilà:  a 24-inch finished block:



I was hesitant to use the dark blue fabric.  I had been hoarding coveting holding on to the last piece of this wonderful rich fabric, but with no project in mind.  But I am so very glad that I decided to use it for this project.  It was the right choice.


The pattern consists of six blocks, but I decided to only make four blocks for a large baby/toddler quilt.  I love how the blocks create an awesome centre.



Val @ Purple Boots and Pigtails invited a few friends over to sew on Sunday.  She has a wonderful front yard, so I was able to get these great photos.



I would make this pattern again, and I encourage you to purchase Ocean Sky once it's released.  Now the difficult part of making a quilt....deciding how to quilt it.

If you have a WIP this week, you should link up with the following:

Sew Fresh Quilts         


19 comments:

  1. OH very pretty and I love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I'm pretty sure I will have to have it. The colors you chose where perfect for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! Very graphic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really cool block! It looks like it's flexible enough to do a lot of fun things with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how lovely, Anja! The contrast between the blues really helps the pattern pop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking quilt, I really like the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt design, perfect colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, Anja. You are right about the interesting center pattern. Good choice on the colours too. What, no orange on this one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your contemplation over fabric selection served you well. The top looks radiant! I always have the most trouble deciding how to quilt a top too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bautifully done, Anja. I am glad you could part with that deep blue fabric. See it became even more beautiful :-)
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that is a very cool design and you chose your colors wisely, so good job taking your time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are my colours! Glad to see you used that rich blue piece of fabric. You made the right choice! This is a really sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My aunt told me she liked your colours better than mine...ha. Especially that deep blue! All the colours just pop so nicely, I keep looking at your photos. This is the second time I've used HQSTs, I really like them too. Thanks again for making the pattern, it is so cool to see it made real by someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out so pretty Anja! Good choice to use that blue; I am like you in that I have a hard time actually using a really gorgeous fabric I have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous! Such nice, rich colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really loving 24" blocks. And this one has a great secondary pattern when set with others. I think it would be interesting to make half the blocks mirror image and get a different effect with the blues (maybe using 9 blocks, or a smaller size version with even more blocks). Love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right, the fabrics were the perfect choice. They truly highlight a wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.